Tuesday, January 15, 2013

For the Love of the Ball

Cody is a very engaging dog who loves to have an activity. He enjoys going on walks, playing ball, doing recalls, and eating from food puzzles. A special love are these small Chuck-it rubber balls. We keep the rubber Chuck-its in the house instead of tennis balls because one of Maya's great loves is shredding the felt off of the tennis ball which is both bad for her teeth and makes a huge mess!
Cody loves it when someone throws the ball for him.
Settling in for a chew

Sometimes he likes to chew with his butt in the air!
I'm working on teaching Cody to drop the ball in exchange for a cookie so I can repeatedly throw it for him, but right now he gets pretty nervous if I ask him for his ball. He feels most comfortable when it is firmly planted in his mouth!
Experiencing a little bit of insecurity.
Enjoying himself but still a little anxious.
In the video below Cody growls quite a bit, but these are mostly play growls. If I try to take the ball from him (which I don't!) he would give me a serious growl, but these are play growls accompanied by a wagging tail and awkward attempts at inviting play from me. Cody hasn't learned yet that giving up a prized object gets him a huge reward and often the prized object back,  but I'm sure once he learns how fetch works he'll be a retrieving rockstar.
Of course it can't all be play. After play time is done...


No comments:

Post a Comment