Friday, March 8, 2013

Teamwork

Rescue is a lot of work. It involves time, energy, and sometimes money in the form of gas, treats, toys, and harnesses. It can be exhausting, smelly, frustrating, and heartbreaking. New Rattitude is a volunteer only rescue and we receive no monetary compensation, but we do it because these dogs need and deserve a chance. We do it because it is life-affirming and these little dog fill our lives with love, pride, and laughter. We meet the most amazing and generous people. We make friends who are as devoted to saving these lives as we are and will do whatever they can to help. While this is not the first time I've experienced such generosity from fellow rescuers and it won't be the last, a huge gift was given to me for which Will and I are incredibly thankful.
Being a huge dachshund fan, I asked for Will to be sent to me. I knew I'd love him right away and I was confident he would merge into our pack without a hitch. I was partially correct.
He got along well with my girls and we were working on he and Cody's interactions. He would follow me around and I loved having him underfoot. Yet he wasn't happy with me. I work long days and I am usually gone a minimum of 11 hours. My dogs stay in the car in underground parking and snooze until lunch time rolls around when we head out for a walk around downtown Bellevue. Will doesn't like being away for that long and he would bark, asking for someone to come back and spend time with him. Some folks complained about the noise and I risked losing my ability to bring my dogs to work. I had a hard choice - either leave him at home for 11 hours a day (far too long!) or find another placement for him.
The initial meeting
Last night Will started with a new, much better foster family! He is now living in Marysville with a pack of four dogs, including a New Rattitude alumni who also loves to play!
Adding a fourth to the mix.
Breaking apart as sniffing finishes.
Will's new foster parents are retired and are home most of the time - just what Will wants! He will enjoy being a part of a pack and having another little male dog to play with, and not having to worry about his foster mom being gone for so many hours a day! So who is in his pack now?
Molly the Jack Russell/Clydesdale horse mix.
Penny the rat terrier (behind Molly, Penny's camera shy!)
Blind, deaf, but still delightful and adorable Toby!
And I saved the best for last of course - the New Rattitude alumni. He was originally fostered by Catty Ratte and is one of the Puppy Mill 7 along with brothers Hoagie and Reuben!
Jasper!
Do I have something on my face?
I am so grateful to Will's new foster family for taking this amazing dog on as their own foster. I will miss him. His sweet face, hilarious wiggle, and even his two differently shaped ears. Letting him go was hard, and I wrestled with the decision right up to the time I pulled into the driveway of his new foster parent's home. It isn't about me though, and I had to do what was best for Will.
Good luck little guy. You're in a better home than I can provide and you'll thrive there in a way you never could with me. Now go have fun playing with Jasper and getting love from your foster parents!



No comments:

Post a Comment