Monday, March 11, 2013

Sick Day Snacks

I've been sick. Sick enough that I took Friday off from work and stayed home with the pups. I spent a good part of this catching up on emails in my office, which is also Cody's room. Poor Cody is used to snoozing the day away in a crate in my car, so having me there really upset his schedule and he started to get bored. He would settle down for a few minutes, then pop back up and wander around. Sometimes he'd come over by my chair and just stand there while I stroked him.

Something had to be done to engage this boy. I couldn't let him out into the backyard to soak up the sunshine since a driver passed out from a medical event and took out part of our fence last week. The up slope is blocked off but I can't let them out unsupervised. I was too sick to take them for a walk, and I didn't have the brain power (or motivation) to do training. So I turned to another tool every dog owner should have in their belt - food puzzles!
Not quite secure backyard.
I decided to make a completely edible treat and use tracheas as the container. A single 12" trachea gave 3 large sections. I made a slurry of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling, just straight pumpkin!) and mixed in some wet dog food. A green apple was cut up to add some internal crunch and some sweetness.
One messy preparation later...
Looks delicious doesn't it? Well Cody and the girls thought so at least!
Already licking his lips!
"Look how good I'm sitting Momma!"
"Finally!"
I got my 30-45 minutes of peace that the tracheas provide. Afterwards, all that physical and mental stimulation from a food toy led to....
Nap time!










No comments:

Post a Comment