Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Snoqualmie Falls

Snoqualmie Falls.
Lucia had a very busy Sunday afternoon! We went out with friends for a picnic at Snoqualmie Falls, and boy howdy was it crowded! Previously I wouldn't take Lucia into crowded spaces since I was concerned about random strangers touching her or Lucia getting overwhelmed by the crowds. Baby Girl has been growing so much that I wanted to challenge her, as well as give her a whole new experience!
Ready for a new adventure!
The husband and two of our friends attended the picnic along with Lucia and I. These are D&D friends, so she has met Lici and Evan before and is fond of both of them.
Evan lovins!
We walked around for a bit and one of our first challenges was asking Lucia to hop up on rocks or benches and hang out as people moved around her. You may recall from this post that Lucia gets nervous being off the ground, especially when people are around. So how did she do?
Momma, this is old hat! 

A stranger walks by - she doesn't even glance at him!
Chowing down on her jackpot of multiple treats!
She wasn't at all phased! We took a break and had our picnic. Nearby at another table were two small dogs, one of whom barked at everyone that passed by. Lucia sometimes started to react to this dog by huffing, growling, and preparing to bark. I interrupt and redirect her each time by calling her name and asking for a contradictory behavior like sit, shake, spin, etc. This switches her attention back to me and on earning positive rewards!
Very excited!
 After a picnic we spent time at the Falls overlooks, and while everyone oggled the pretty scenery Lucia worked her magic and attracted lots of attention. I had multiple people ask me about her and what breed she is, and that opened it up for me to talk about rescue, New Rattitude, rat terriers, and the power of dogs to heal from abuse!

She took cookies from several people and older children. Previously I didn't allow children to approach Lucia as they made her uncomfortable, but these were calm, older children (8-9 years and older.) I told them that Lucia is very shy and to not touch her, but asked them if they would give her a treat. Few kids can resist the idea of feeding such a cute little dog, and so I instructed them to hold their hand out flat and to (again) not touch her. After she took treats I'd have Lucia show off her tricks to the delighted giggles of the kids.
Busy day, happy girl!
I can't express how pleased I am with our visit to the Falls. Lucia not only had a wonderful socialization experience, but she got to socialize with kids (a first for her since coming into foster care) and she got to give back to New Rattitude by being a wonderful, calm, and engaging Ambassador for us!

After we left Snoqualmie Falls, we continued the adventure by heading up to Rattlesnake Lake. See what happens when Lucia meets the clear waters of the Lake tommorow!

You're coming back tommorow, right?











No comments:

Post a Comment