Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Tracheas

If you're a dog person, you may find yourself getting excited over strange items like ducks feet, green tripe, chicken necks, lamb lung, pork pizzles, or beef trachea. I never realized what a wealth of delight the "inedible" portions of a livestock can yield for the canine gourmet. When I recieved my order of Bravo Beef Tracheas I gazed upon the box of 20 treasures in something akin to awe. With reverence I lifted out these glucosamine and chondroitin filled tubes and eagerly showed them to the dogs, who each sniffed one before clamping down on it and tugging it out of my hand.
These are about a foot each, and so a bit much for a single dog to take, even Cody at 18 lbs. So instead I cut one into thirds, and along with some beef tripe they settled down for dinner.
Cody didn't know how to eat these at first. I suspect Cody has been exposed to new things several times at my house based on how long he sniffs each new thing before finally digging in. He is an old pro at bully sticks and ducks feet, but with the trachea he first held it in his mouth and tried to chew on it. Cody realized this didn't work too well either, so then he tried placing a paw on it to hold it down.
Finally success! Once Cody figured out this peice of the puzzle, he dug into the trachea.


No comments:

Post a Comment